For commercial properties, there are many ways that you can fix a piping issue. Any reputable commercial plumber should have at least two solutions to your problem. If your plumber does not suggest a PEX repipe, ask about why he/ she wouldn’t recommend it. If they do not know what a PEX pipe is, you should find a different plumber. A PEX repipe is a revolutionary pipe that has been around for more than 40 years.
PEX stands for a polyethylene (PE) pipe that has been crosslinked (X). This material of pipe is durable and flexible. Like all pipes, there are different varieties of grades of PEX just like there is copper or any other type of pipe. If your plumber is planning to do a PEX repipe, do not hesitate to ask them where they get their pipes. A good plumber is transparent to where they get their supplies.
– Because it is flexible it can bend at a 90-degree angle, eliminating the need for elbow fittings
– PEX pipes are more resistant to freeze-breakage than copper pipes.
– The PEX tubing is much quieter than a copper pipe, there is no banging.
– PEX pipes are much less expensive than a copper pipe.
– The pipe does not transfer heat as quickly as copper, thus conserving energy for your building
PEX pipes are a great alternative piping solution for commercial properties. But, PEX piping is not for every building. If you feel like your property needs a repipe, do research, find out as much as you can about different solutions. When you are ready, research commercial plumbers. Keep your options open. Your commercial plumber needs to be friendly, honest, and knowledgeable about your situation and different solutions.